Thursday, September 24, 2009

Hard Knock Life

We got a visit yesterday from a group of kids from an orphanage nearby in Tikrit.
I was in the 86 Combat Support Hospital during my last deployment so I had seen some horrible stuff done to kids. There was a man making explosives and had his children handling them and they blew up. The kids were brought to the hospital in critical condition with 3rd degree burns all over their bodies, a girl who was about 6 and a boy who was 4. I was in the hospital the night the girl died. I was walking through the ICU when the flat-line sounded. She was surrounded by medics who had done all they could. You could tell it was hard on them. I'm not sure if the boy made it. Many of them were angry because there was nothing they could do about the father and he walked away from it unscathed. Many nights there you could hear the cry of babies and children.





















In this group there was a boy whose left arm ended just below the elbow, another boy who couldn't walk without being helped, and the sweetest little girl with an amazing smile who appeared to be autistic.

The boys played Soccer with the Soldiers. The girls rough-housed with with the Soldiers and ran around chasing and dog-piling on a couple big guys. The kids also got to check out a MRAP and a Blackhawk Helicopter. Later there were arts and crafts, bouncing balls in the gym, bowling, basketball, and the 25th Infantry Division band played for them. Afterward, an Iraqi Policeman took the drum sticks and one of the boys sang while the girls and boys danced around in a circle singing along. At the end of the day each child was given a backpack filled with gifts.



Overall, it was generally a feel-good type event. Although some say their future will be uncertain when we leave, I say if we can do something for them now we should. Ultimately, when we leave it will be up to the people and government of Iraq to invest in their children.

Even though we had two interpreters with us I felt a little out of place.
We had an Arabic class before we deployed but nothing that lasted more than an hour so, myself and probably a lot of other Soldiers are right back to where we were before the class.

I didn't really learn much Arabic during my last deployment so one of my goals for this one is to become a little fluent, at least conversationally. I started practicing on this website I found online yesterday and our interpreter in the Public Affairs Office, a sometimes serious and sometimes funny guy named Nate promised he would teach us as well.

I had a dream last night where all these people were speaking in Arabic...and I didn't understand any of them. But, I take that as a good sign at least that my brain is starting to try and absorb the language.

I got my laundry back yesterday, too...and my Spongebob sheets? Mite-free. Now I'm sleeping in style!

While we were driving around on a tour around COB Speicher we found a wall with a large mural of the 1st Infantry Division's "Lady Victory" painted on it so, it was a good opportunity for a photo-op, why not?


(From left to right)
SPC Shantelle Campbell
SPC Richard Colletta
SFC Jake Newman
CPT Rebecca Walsh

No comments:

Post a Comment