Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Back in the Saddle

I know it's been a while since I posted here. My father's death was kind of hard on me. Problems can really weigh you down when you're deployed. Family issues and illnesses, work issues, personal issues...when you're deployed problems have a tendency to multiply and it's hard not having your family there with you or being with your family to reassure them.

I guess I haven't been the usual crack wit I used to be on a daily basis. I have good days and I have well...days.

Aside from all the rain turning the sand around here into mud we've also had a lot of fog lately. I get kind of nervous when it's foggy outside. That's when the ninjas sneak in and if you can't see any ninjas that probably means you're already surrounded.

We've been really busy as of late. Last week and this week have been one late day after another. We covered the 701st Brigade Support Battalion's Diligent Challenge yesterday. It's an all day Soldier Challenge that pushes you mentally and physically. (Story & Video upcoming)

While we were following the Soldiers throughout the day I saw a large cloud of smoke in the distance. It didn't strike me as unusual at the time. I figured they were stoking the fires at the burn pit but it turns out they weren't. The building that a MPAD (Mobile Public Affairs Detachment) and a lot of other Soldiers worked in caught on fire. Apparently, most of their equipment was destroyed or burninated. No one was hurt as far as I know.

While we don't have a lot of office space ourselves it looks like we're going to be hosting a few of the MPAD Soldiers so it'll be even more cramped than usual. :P

While I've been deployed I purchased the Star Trek: The Next Generation series box set and I've been having a continual Star Trek: TNG Marathon since. I'm currently half-way through Season 4. I'm not exactly a Trekkie but Star Trek: TNG was a pretty awesome show. I'm just wondering what I'm gonna watch when I get through Season 7. I thought about DS9 but if I remember correctly it was a little less space opera and a little more soap opera.

I'm also a fan of Psych, My Name is Earl, Burn Notice, Family Guy and American Dad. I used to keep up with all my favorite shows on Hulu (www.hulu.com) and Cartoon Network's Adult Swim (www.adultswim.com) but, those websites only let you stream their shows in the USA, not to mention our internet connection is way too slow.

I picked up dinner to go from the chow hall today. I got a turkey wrap and some Waldorf Salad. I wasn't sure what it was but it had apples in it so I thought I'd give it a try. Well, it appears to be diced apples drenched with mayonnaise and relished with tiny nuts and I'm not sure but maybe tiny bits of bacon too. Well, it doesn't taste as great as it looked to me...Whoever came up with this should have stopped at apples or at least left out the mayonnaise.

I'll be traveling tomorrow and talking to Soldiers at various camps to get some thoughts on Thanksgiving in Iraq. Then it's another late night of production when we get back.

We've gotten a lot of boxes and goodies from churches, organizations and friends and family lately. That stuff is a real morale booster. Well, not only have I been amiss in keeping up my blog I've got some letters to write to Grandma too!


~RC

As always if you want to keep up with the latest news, photos and videos from the Dragon Brigade check out Facebook Fan Page or Youtube (links on the right)

1 comment:

  1. Its possible that Trogdor was involved in the MPAD burnination. They coulda been mistaken for peasants.

    ReplyDelete